I got a new kitchen gadget- a dutch oven! It has been on my Pinterest list for months, and when I was at our local Target, it was in the clearance aisle- SCORE! So, I picked up this Threshold 6qt Dutch Oven in pink. They no longer have that color, but they have lots of great color options, and it’s less than $25!
The first recipe we made in it was this super simple and yummy one pot (my fav!) ziti. We originally made it with sausage, but in the recipe below, I have omitted it, as I felt it ruined it. Hi, I’m Chrissy, and I don’t really like meat.
1/2 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5oz) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
3 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c. water
3 c. uncooked ziti
1/3 c. shredded parmesan cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced rounds
1 c. ricotta cheese
1. Turn oven broiler on high (for later).
2. Pre-heat dutch oven over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add olive oil and sauté onion. Cook 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
3. Add diced tomatoes, sauce and paste, Italian seasoning, sugar and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add water and ziti. Stir well making sure the ziti is submerged. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until the pasta is almost al dente.
5. Remove dutch oven from heat. Stir in shredded parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. With a spoon, dollop ricotta on top. Place sliced mozzarella on top. Place dutch oven in oven under broiler until cheese on top is hot and melted.